It’s the first day of summer and we’re celebrating all things barbecued. We’d like to share a classic recipe that is fantastic with our Meritage. This dish is courtesy of one of our favourite steakhouses, Gotham. Our full-bodied Cabernet based blend pairs beautifully with the rich and meaty flavours of this well grilled steak.
lots of butter
cracked black pepper
good quality steaks at least 2″ thick
- Turn bbq on high, put cast iron skillet on grill, close lid and leave it for fifteen minutes. preheat oven to 500.
- Sprinkle steaks with salt and pepper, then brush with canola oil.
- Scoop pad of butter in pan and let melt, place steak in pan and add more butter. (Expect a great deal of smoke, (this is why you are outside!)
- Add more butter and flip steak, add more butter and leave for a minute, do not let butter dry up.
- Remove steak and allow it to rest on the cooling rack
- Just before serving dinner place all the steaks on the rack in the oven on a cookie sheet and leave it for 1 1/2 minutes, serve.
Our beautiful new Similkameen Valley tasting room is almost ready to open and we’re hiring! We’re looking for tasting room associates who are enthusiastic, energetic team players and who are passionate about wine and will ensure that all who enter the winery will be treated as family, so they walk away with an unforgettable experience.
This is a seasonal post and you must be able to work weekends as this position is focused on weekends. Full and Part-time opportunities available!
Candidate skills should include, but are not limited to:
- Outstanding communication and customer service skills with an ability to adapt to diverse levels of guest knowledge
- Project a polished and professional outward image in both dress and manners
- Conducting structured tastings for those who come to the winery
- Operation of a POS system
- Prior wine knowledge is an asset and a positive attitude is required
- Ability to work in a team and independently
- Efficient worker and ability to problem solve
- Comfortable presenting in front of large groups
Daily Responsibilities (inclusive but not limited to):
- Maintaining the cleanliness of the hospitality space including tasting rooms, walkways, restrooms, and picnic area
- Ensuring the tasting bars are well stocked, free of clutter, and ready to receive visitors
- Communicate Vanessa Vineyard’s winemaking style, operations, and curate a memorable experience to the guest’s knowledge level
- Act as ambassador for the Okanagan’s wine culture with personal experience and recommendations
- Customer Service: 1 year
- Ability to safely lift 40lbs
- Serving It Right Certified
- WSET or Wine Certification is an asset
- Second language is an asset
Do you fit the bill? If so, please apply via email to email@example.com.
We’re honoured that our grapes are so well received by the critics. With 75 acres planted, we’re not able to use all the fruit for our own winery and sell some to a very select few local wineries. Their single vineyard Vanessa wines are achieving incredible acclaim. This past spring, renowned British wine critic Jamie Goode visited BC for the Vancouver International Wine Festival and had the chance to taste a range of local wines and wrote of the Sandhill Vanessa Vineyard Syrah 2013,
“Sweet and textured with ripe black cherry and berry fruits with some lovely olive and pepper notes. Some dried herbs and spice, with a savoury, mineral intensity to this wine. Warm but with some peppery notes of cool climate. Lovely stuff. 93/100”
Similarly, renowned Canadian wine author John Schreiner recently wrote,
“Sandhill now sources some premium reds from Vanessa Vineyards in the Similkameen. This 100-acre vineyard has relatively young vines but it holds the promise of high quality wines as well. Certainly, the flavour profile differs from Phantom Creek. That simply underlines the Sandhill philosophy of making single vineyard wines that display the terroir and individuality of each and every vineyard…
Sandhill Small Lots One 2016 Vanessa Vineyard (barrel sample). This wine is a co-fermented blend of Cabernet Franc, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon. Early in its aging process, this is a promising successor to the previous succession of Phantom Creek wines. The profile seems brighter, with minty and floral aromas and with brambly flavours. 90-92.”
Kudos to Howard Soon, winemaker Sandhill Wines for his repeated honours with our fruit!